Thursday, September 17, 2009

Comment #2...World of Warcraft

After watching our guest speakers the other week, I decided to give World of Warcraft (a multiplayer online game) a try. I have a few friends who are hard-core WoW players, but I fail to see the draw. The graphics are good and the gameplay is easy to pick up, but it definitely did not hold my attention for more than a few minutes. (That might be because I'm more a fan of sports and racing games.) I think that many of the fans of this game would be participating in role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons if computers did not exist. (In fact, those same friends of mine started off with D&D as teenagers.)
That being said, I do see some benefits of playing this game...
Practicing creative problem solving- All games require some degree of problem solving ability, and a game like this offers almost innumerable obstacles to surmount in a framework that provides great motivation for the learner.
Practicing failure- Every learner needs a low risk setting to learn how to deal with failure. Games such as WoW invite players to take risks and fail in order to try again. The concept is the same as in the real world, but the consequences are not as painful. Some learn these lessons through sports or music; others through gaming.
Practicing teamwork and leadership skills- Working with other players is an integral part of the gaming experience, and so it is necessary to learn how to work as a part of a team to accomplish certain goals. And as we saw with one of guest speakers, there is the opportunity to begin learning the responsibilities that come with being a leader. And there is almost immediate feedback on your leadership ability, because it is very easy for your followers to leave you for someone they feel is better.
Learning some hard, real world type lessons- As our guest speaker learned, people are not always honest, and they will often cheat you if you give them a chance. He was able to get his first lesson in a video game; I got mine when a 'friend' stole my savings when I was 6. A valuable lesson, and one that I think that I think is a good one to learn in a game, first (although betrayal is always a bitter pill to swallow).
These were the main benefits I found with the game, but there are a few negatives as well. The violence which is a big draw in these games is a bit disturbing, at least when younger players are involved. Of course, I say that and then I remember that my brother and I played cowboys and indians and had swordfights without the benefit of violent video games to influence us. However I still find the killing and bloodshed a bit troubling. I even have concerns about the violence in my sons' Lego Star Wars games, despite there being no blood or realistic characters.
The addictive nature of the games is also a concern. I know that my sons would play video games for hours every day if given the chance, and we heard from our guests that they have done the same. But I used to practice sports for several hours daily. Is it really that different? I was still addicted to the games, only I was getting exercise; I think the basic premise is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment